Saturday, May 22, 2010

Yugioh Makes for Interesting Conversation

My prietenu (Romania for friend). Horatiu is one of my best friends. He also happens to be quite the oddball. It would take a whole novel for me to explain the many intricacies. This is not the point. The point is that when I’m with him I feel like a human being. For all the teenage girls out there you know what I mean. I don’t think the word objectify is even in his vocab.
Smack dab in the middle of the lunch room. Catching the stares of all who happened to walk by and the laughs too. We were playing Yugioh in a school setting. Social high school politics genocide.

However when you are around the people you love you really do stop to care. I wasn’t thinking about what that particularly tiny freshman was saying because I was too busy worrying about my red eyes dragon. You see Horatiu is a tremendous card player. The match was a little un-even. He ended up letting me win though in typical sly friend fashion. I mean I am the epitome of terrible at strategy games. When I collected Yugioh cards as a young girl I built my deck based on cuteness. Time wizard was always my favorite.

So in a way I think I passed a very secret and intimate test constructed by my Romanian buddy. It was almost like an initiation. Then I really started to enjoy myself. I was stumbling through trap card etiquette and attacking formation like a major beginner. He always cheered me on though and took care to stop and fix my many mistakes.

There I was laughing like a hyena when the group of kids tried un-successfully to insult us secretly. Upon my laughter Horatiu joined in taking a sigh of relief that I didn’t want to discard him like a 4 week old sandwich. I mean what do those kids have on us? 50 dollar shoes??? I value the friendships I make and how dare they try to get in on that. I was dueling for goodness sakes.

Through a simple card game I became better friends with a guy who I almost barely understand. He is meticulous and kind. Though he doesn’t quite know how to show it. Sure he hints to friendish commitment but for an open girl like me it often isn’t re-assuring. I am learning! I mean come on I used my red eyes dragon to wipe out his one monster thingy that kept summoning stuff from the graveyard. It’s not just game improvement its friend and character improvement.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kaylea,
    As a creative genius once said “Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”
    E. E. Cummings quotes

    You rock (as always!)
    D

    ReplyDelete